Tuesday, April 26, 2011
I have not done much quilting in the past few weeks. Being away and then my surgery. I am healing and plan to get back to work now (customer quilts today). I have sewn the blocks for one quarter of my spider Web Quilt. They are going together slowly but I am being picky about my points and do not want to lose them. I sewed two together, so far so good. It is great to see what it will look like now.
Also this past week I had to finish my guild challenge and hand it in. I will show you in June after the quilt show. I forgot to take a photo before I handed it in and it is a judged quilt so I do not show them early.
Off to work, Hope you enjoyed Quilt Bee Tuesday.
Sunday, April 17, 2011
I have a new Surface Design group started out of the Edmonton Quilter's Guild. We are going to meet the second Friday of the month in each others homes or yards. There are five of us. Our first gathering was earlier this month and we only have three of us this first day. I hope we will have all five next month and talk more about what we are going to do. I really want to meet over the summer months and do some dyeing and painting outside.
Here is a couple of the girls dying fabric and taking photos of what we have done. I led the small group in Snow dying fabric in melting snow outside. We do not get much time we can snow dye outside. I did a lot of meters last year this way. It leaves the mess outside. Our outside temp was about 6 C this day. We left our fabric outside for about four hours ( 11 till 3).
Here is Dawna adding dye to a snow cover piece of fabric. We had large hills of snow, so we made shelves in the snow to place our fabric. We had presoaked the fabric in soda ash. Then we placed a meter of fabric in the snow. We crimped or pleated the fabric. We covered it with snow and then covered it with dyes.
Yes I am behind in making blog posts, sorry. I have had the most busy two weeks. I hope to get caught up in what I have been doing. I have much time to rest now. On Friday I had gall bladder surgery so I am not doing much. Time to get some paper work done, play on the computer, and taxes soon.
Saturday, April 16, 2011
Saturday, April 2, 2011
I have made this journal cover to use as a travel journal. I am returning from a trip to Maui. I wanted to make something fun and useful to take with me. I used some of my poverty piecing I made last month. I quilted the patch work with six flowers - hibiscus like. There were six of us on the trip. I also did little waves curls. I used YLI thread called Sea Mist and Maui Sunset. I bought these two threads five years ago in Maui.
I bought a blank sketch book to start off. This time I have made zipper pockets on the inside of both front and back. The pockets can then be used to put my pens and pencils. I packed a glue stick and a tape runner so I can glue in tickets and other bits from the trip.