Saturday, January 21, 2012

Happy Scrappy Saturday Red #3


Happy Scrappy Saturday to you all. I have been working hard to reduce the size of my Red Scrap Box ( and Pink and Neutrals too). I have completed a whole quilt top in just a few weeks. I got the last of it done last night ( part of the Friday Night Sew-in). I sew most Friday nights because the boys are gaming on Fridays nights and I am kicked downstairs to the studio ( the noise drives me down). It measure around 54' wide by 72' tall. I do not think I will add a boarder but just quilt and bind. Not to sure when I can do that.

There is a Linky post over at SoScrappy if you want to see what others have been doing with their Reds scraps this week.


I have a close up because I want to bring to your attention some very special scraps. First the red with oranges in it. I have very little of it left and love it. I think it is in every scrappy project I have done that had any red in it.  Not sure were I got it. Next the super bright pink dot on the left heart and bottom square. I got a fat quarter from a friend June. She bought a couple meters of it from a neighbour for a few dollars and she now tells me the neighbour recently has passed away. The centre top heart has the stripe and mini strawberry fabrics I got them from a lady selling her mothers stash after she passed away. Her mother had been a quilting teacher and made her own appliqué patterns on brown paper grocery bags.  I just can not help but think of these past quilters (Fabric stash managers), even though I never met them. I hope they are happy to see that some of their fabric has gone to good use. 


I did not count and keep track of how big I would make the heart quilt. I just made hearts and put them on the wall till it was big enough. I sometimes had to go back to the scraps and cut more squares.  I knew I would end with a few left overs but I was very close I ended up with eight extras. Not bad. Not sure what I will do with them. Maybe just put them in the box of orphan blocks. Someday I may make something with my orphan blocks.

Last week I had a few of you say you liked this heart quilt idea and may make your own. Great please do and if you have and questions please ask. I will say I did sashing because my scraps of neutrals had many 2" strips I could use. I think the other quilt I made years ago, I used the 4" hearts with 4" neutral blocks and not a sashing. This blocks of hearts and blocks of neutral maybe easer to do. You will still need to use some large triangles on the outer edges. For this quilt I had about half the outer triangles in the scrap box (left over from something) but when I needed more I cut a 10" square then cut it on both diagonals. By the way I have looked very hard for the photos of the old heart quilt. I may have not taken one. Opps. I gave it away to a guild charity and my only hope to find a photo now is to look in the old guild history books. They took photos of everything and have many many albums from show and tell. It was about 1998 or 1999 when I made it.

Wish Lex and I Luck. We have a Dog Agility Trial on Sunday. At least the temperature is starting to warm up ( high of -6C). The trial is indoors but just driving in the real cold (-30C) and going out to water our dogs can be so cold. The horse arena we use can be pretty cool too. I always forget to get photos. Maybe tomorrow I will get a couple.

8 comments:

  1. So many cute little hearts! The look so happy to be altogether in a quilt. Remembering the origin of each bit is what makes scrap quilts so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great scrap quilt! What I love most about scrap quilts is the memories that come to mind when we look at certain pieces of fabric and this one certainly succeeds in that department. Good luck with your agility trials - those temps are too cold for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, you have been busy. Love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the heart blocks. What a great way to use scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt! Think I must add it to my list! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I hope to have the top together before next Saturday. Good luck at the Agility meet! I have a 4 mouth old Sheltie, Quinn, she and I are going to get agility a try-she's fearless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this quilt...and really enjoyed reading you blog post about the details of some of the fabrics...so many memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the heart blocks. That looks simple enough, and put together they are great! I could see doing them with narrow left-over strips, too, in log cabin fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great little hearts. Heh I just noticed you are in Leduc. I love in southern AB. Nice to meet another Albertan.

    ReplyDelete