Monday, June 18, 2012

Design Wall Monday June 18


I am showing the ugliest quilt ever. I did these blocks many years ago (maybe more then 10 yrs). I had lots of floral fabrics because I was doing watercolour blending quilts. I made 16 patches with 2" strips of fabric and then used 3 1/2" strips to make 4 patches. I tried to do some colour blocking or diagonal  rows of colour to make some kind of sense with it. It is still very very bad - worst quilt designing ever.

I had my mom (PS mom is a quilt judge) over on the weekend and showed her. Yuck. We talked and moved blocks around.


Piles and piles of blocks. Why so many?


Here is four blocks together. Not sure why I continued to sew these. Even just four together is way too busy. I got this box out because I had put it on my UFO list this year. Now I know why it has been in a box for so long. There are more design walls over at Patchwork Times. I have added this post to Sew Happy Geek and manic Monday


This was starting to look a bit better. It has the white of the wall showing with half the blocks taken down. We (mom and I) think we could use a plainer print in every other block and make something out of this mess. We are thinking that we will sew some together and try to make one single size quilt. We will only be using a third of the blocks I have made. I may have to give some blocks away.

I just thought it is the second last Monday till school will be out for the summer. Whoopee

10 comments:

  1. I think you are on the right track adding a neutral block, you might even try a tone on tone green or red to make those florals pop. I have some blocks that worked in my mind's eye but not on the design wall. Good luck but don't give up get them off the UFO list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about using the left over blocks in the backing? That way you will be done with them for good. Isn't amazing when we have one of those what was I thinking moments? I have tons of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used my ugliest fabrics to make checkerboard blocks and set them side by side. I love how they looked when the quilt was put together. I think you can make something great out of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it that you are searching to find a way to make this work. Perhaps the 16 patches can be the main body of the quilt, a solid border of about 3 inches and then an second border of the 4 patches-perhaps 4 patches alternating with the same background used with the 16 patches.

    Those watercolor florals always overwhelmed me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha "Ugliest quilt ever"! Don't we all have one of those! I do like the last setting you've chosen. I'm sure it will be very nice when you get it finished. And maybe you can use the other blocks for the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of using these as alternate blocks with a simple star or turn it in to an irish chain. Or you could send me some blocks or have a blog giveaway for those you can't stand to look at anymore, yea I have a box of orphaned blocks too.:) Your blocks are great, you will find a set that speaks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it interesting to go back and see what we thought was great years ago and compare it to what we do today. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you are on your way to a much nicer quilt. Hope you find a layout you are really happy with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you're gonna turn this into something pretty. Oh and mom's a quilt judge, wow. I'd have to hide some of my stuff in my closet if my mom was a quilt judge :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok - I love florals but I have to agree that first arrangement is too much. I like the idea of a separating plain block. I say do what you can with it and then give the rest of the blocks away. Someone else will be happy to have them. Happy stitching-

    ReplyDelete